PACKRAFTING LEVEL 1 + 5 DAY EXPEDITION
The most popular way to get started with packrafting
The most popular way to get started with Packrafting. Jumpstart your packrafting career with this awesome package that combines our Level 1 course with a five day expedition experience into true New Zealand Wilderness.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
The ultimate way to transition from someone who is just interested in packrafting to someone who IS a packrafter.
- Learn the skills needed during the 2 day course
- Consolidate your training in a pristine wilderness environment
- All packrafting gear is included, or you can use your own.
- Advance your packrafting proficiency
- Experience a real 5 day packrafting expedition
THE PACKAGE INCLUDES:
IPIA PACKRAFTING LEVEL 1 COURSE
- Teaches everything you need to know
- covers equipment use and care
- instructs in safety and encourages water confidence
- includes basic skills training + on-the-water knowledge
Our Packrafting Course Level 1 is progression based. We start slow and push you harder as we go, depending on your personal confidence and ability.
For more info on the course: Level 1 – Course
THE HOLLYFORD/PYKE PACKRAFTING EXPEDITION*.
This once in a lifetime trip gives you access to an area normally visited only by very experienced backcountry travelers. It is the holy grail of Packrafting in New Zealand, and with only four to six trips a year with six people maximum, it is a pretty exclusive opportunity.
While the expedition is a tremendously rewarding adventure, it is not for the meek. Fiordland weather is unpredictable, the days are relatively rigorous, and the setting is very nearly at the end of the world. But for those up for the challenge, and who are ready to cut the cords in this age of constant ‘connection’, it offers unparalleled opportunities to connect to something a little bit deeper.
The expedition takes place immediately following the Level 1 course and runs for 5 days and 4 nights. For an information pack including the full trip details, maps, and a full itinerary, just drop us your email under the NEXT STEPS heading at the top of the page.
Because of the demanding nature of the five day trip following the course, you must demonstrate that you have achieved the appropriate competency level in order to be able to go on the expedition. Should you not meet the required level, we can either refund your payment less the Level 1 course cost or transfer your booking onto another expedition departure later in the year to allow for greater skill development.
INTERESTED? But not quite sure if this option is for you? Just stick your email in the box below and download a detailed information packet right to your device to help you decide.
Are you READY TO COMMIT? Then scroll down to the “book now” button to check dates and availability, or to book a spot in an expedition.
Or, you can ASK US A QUESTION. If you can’t already tell, we’re always happy to talk about packrafting!
DOWNLOAD FREE INFO BROCHURE
REGISTER FOR FREE
- Use the BOOK NOW button and fill in the booking form for the dates you prefer
- Booking the course gives you 50% off continued education ( does not apply to Expeditions )
- When you’re ready, payment can be bank transfer or Credit Card (+3%)
- Feel free to give us a call or email if you have more questions
- Please Note: Registering only confirms interest on those particular dates. It only becomes a booking and a secured spot once we receive your deposit or full payment.
GET IN CONTACT
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- When you book a spot in a course or on a trip, or reserve a rental boat, we require a 25% deposit of the total cost. This secures your spot or reservation.
- The balance of payments should be paid no later than four weeks prior to the departure/rental date unless other arrangements are made. If you don’t do this, we may cancel your booking or reservation, so make sure to keep track of time as your trip is getting nearer. In this case, you won’t get your deposit back.
- If you need to cancel your trip or reservation after you’ve paid, you’ll get a refund based on how far in advance of the trip you cancel.
- If it’s more than 12 weeks out, we’ll refund the entire amount, including the deposit, but minus the 1.9% fee which we’ve had to pay to the booking system (sorry!).
- If it’s between 8 and 12 weeks until your big adventure, you’ll lose your deposit, but get back all of the rest.
- Between 4 and 8 weeks you’ll lose the deposit, and get back 80% of the rest.
- Within 4 weeks no refund applies.
- Once your trips, rentals or course has commenced no refund applies due to any circumstances.
GOOD NEWS! If you do need to cancel, we’re happy to honor your booking or reservation by moving it to another available date, whenever possible. We’ll extend this courtesy for up to a year from the date of your original trip or rental reservation, so just get in touch.
WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you arrange personal travel/medical insurance. This will protect you for any loss of fares if you need to cancel your trip due to unforeseen circumstances.
The weather in Fiordland can be very unpredictable and change dramatically, very quickly; the close proximity of towering mountains and the ocean makes for conditions and temperatures that can vary markedly during the course of a day. Fiordland is one of the wettest places on the planet.
Summer months average around 20°C but the evenings can be a little cooler. Winter temperatures average around 10°C on the coast with the evenings much colder.It is not unusual to experience both summer and winter conditions and temperatures on the same day!
It is important to be prepared for the worst conditions carry the appropriate clothing at all times. In the event of extreme weather, your safety is our priority and parts of the day may need to be changed. Any decision to do so is a professional decision made by your guide, please respect their decision as it is based on experience and with your safety in mind.
Regardless of the conditions you experience, sun, rain, a combination of the two, or anything in between, your experience on the Hollyford/Pyke Loop will be a memorable one.