DEMO BOAT PROGRAM
Packrafting NZ has a limited number of Demo Boats available for trials. These are not available as standard rentals. We have the latest Alpacka Raft toys for you to test. See below ( not limited to )
These boats can be sent out for WEEKENDs only for those considering purchase of one of these boats as a sort of ‘try before you buy’ option. For demo orders boats will arrive on a friday and need to be back in the post the following monday. Cost is $50 per boat for the weekend, which just covers shipping our time in getting the boat in the post.
Multiple demo requests to the same person will not be allowed, however, as the program is not designed to take the place of rentals.
We will use your Credit card information as a deposit to ensure the boats are returned promptly and in good condition.
Our rafts and equipment are very durable, but not indestructible - treat the gear with respect.
All hire equipment must be returned to Packrafting New Zealand clean and dry.
Use common sense. Paddle within your abilities and check local weather conditions.
Wear a correctly fitted PFD when on water at all times. If paddling white-water, we strongly recommend that you also wear a helmet
Return all gear on time. Give us a call if you think your trips going to run longer than expected and we can discuss extending the rental period, dependant on availability.
Please don’t wreck our gear. We offer you a packraft rental service out of a desire to share unique experiences. You are solely responsible for our rental gear during the rental period, including any damage, loss or theft by you or any third party. If you break, damage or lose any equipment, beyond normal wear and tear, you agree to reimburse any reasonable repair or replacement costs. We’ll notify and discuss this with you prior to charging any additional amount. We're here to offer you a service, not break your balls.
Packrafting NZ offers rafts and equipment to explore the world in a positive way. We are simply providing the equipment. We will ensure that when it leaves our hands, it is up to scratch. But you must double check the gear upon receipt and notify us of any issues/damages/omissions as soon as possible (before your trip!) Ultimately, you are responsible for being familiar with the gear and use of the gear to keep yourself safe.
Packrafting NZ is thus not responsible for the failure of rental equipment (unlikely though it may be) during the rental period, and You hereby absolve Packrafting NZ from any claim of consequential loss or damages resulting from such failures.
By renting a packraft through Packrafting NZ, the hirer understands theremay be potentialrisks and hazards associated with packrafting on water, (moving or flat) to themselves and others, which may result in serious injury or even death. Don't be a fool, know your limits and paddle within your abilities and those of your paddling friends.
All hired gear remains the sole property of Packrafting NZ.
We may charge up to a $300 deposit per raft, per hire (fully refunded at the end of the rental period when our equipment is returned clean, damage free and on time).
The hirers credit card details will be kept on file for the duration of all rentals.
Life happens sometimes, and we get that. Our cancellation policy is as follows:
One month or earlier before your rental booking start, we'll refund 90% (the remaining 10% covers our time and a beer or cider, depending on who took your booking)
Two weeks before your rental booking start, we'll refund 50% OR allow you to reschedule the rental to any other available dates within one calendar year.
Less than two weeks before your rental booking start we do not issue refunds. We will happily allow you to reschedule the rental for any other available dates within one calendar year.
A cleaning fee will be charged, should any equipment be returned excessively dirty and/or wet. Please clean and dry everything before returning it. Maximum cleaning fee will be $45 per raft.
We will charge $80 per day, per raft kit for any late returns. Please call us and let us know of any known delays. But seriously, just try to get the boats back to us on time. A delay on your end might mean someone else’s packrafting adventure is adversely affected. If it’s unavoidable, we get it, sometimes things don’t go as planned out there in the bush. But if you’re just too lazy to get your boats cleaned up and in the post in a timely manner, well, that’s kind of a dick move. Don’t be a dick.
Any information we collect about you is for the sole purpose of providing you a quote and/or rental service. We do not gather your information for marketing purposes and we most definitely do not sell your information to third parties, because we believe in privacy.